24 November 2008

Chad vs. Dirtbike - Round 2

Don't worry, no pics this time... Chad loves riding his dirtbike, probably more than anything else right now. He goes about once a week, which he totally needs or else he goes crazy, and drives me crazy! Well, he decided he was going to try to race, since he had never done that before. It was just some amateur stuff, nothing big. The first race he was in, he did great. He got first place in his division and third place overall. Then, in the second race, he wrecked twice, and the second was it for him. He had to limp off the course and walk his bike away. And he got hurt... Along with the usual scrapes and bumps, he got another big gauge on his knee. It ended up getting really swollen two days later, and we took him to the doctor. They said it was really infected and possibly fractured in three places. We went to a specialist, and he said it wasn't fractured (thank goodness). But now he is on amoxicylin and hydrocodine, which make him sick when he takes them together. I call him my little gimp (I think he is cute when he limps). Anyway, he just loves that kind of stuff, and I guess when you take the risk, that's what you get. I don't think he will race anymore.

Oh, and just a little venting. Why is it that when doctors hear you got hurt on a dirtbike or skateboarding or something like that, they are like, well you asked for it. Someone can fracture their knee playing basketball or trip and bust their leg walking to the next golf hole, but do doctors ever say, well, you shouldn't play basketball anymore, or don't go golfing? No! So why is it that they say, you shouldn't snowboard, or don't ride your dirtbike anymore, or stay off that wakeboard! Obviously there is a higher risk of getting hurt, but seriously! Both doctors told Chad that (and one told him not to wakeboard or snowboard). We didn't ask for their opinion, well, except about his knee.

3 comments:

Leslie said...

:( Poor kid. I bet that has gotta huuuuuuuuuurt!! Good luck nursing him back to health!

Whitney said...

Tyson just laughed and laughed when I read this to him. Poor Chad.

Kathryn Cooper said...

Yeah we should go! I haven't seen it yet. It looks good though; and I've heard good things about it. Maybe next weekend or something. Let me know. Will you be at story time tomorrow? It's the last one for awhile. They take off during Dec.